Overview of the Agency Overview of the Agency
Establishment of the Institution
It has been 75 years since the Federal Small and Medium Manufacturing Industries Development Agency was established as an institution. The agency has been referred by different names since its establishment.
- In 1941/42 it was founded as Her Majesty Etege Menen Handcraft School.
- In 1976/77 it was re-established as small industries and handicrafts development enterprise (SIHDE)
- In 1991/92 it was named small industries and handcraft development enterprise (SIHDE) and was structured which facilitated smooth operation until 1997/98.
- 1997/98 it was established by regulation No. 33/1998 of the Ministry of Councils as Federal Micro and Small Business Enterprises Development Organization (FMSBEDO).
Accordingly, to the institutions that have been referred as handicraft and cottage industries for a long time were recognized as small and micro enterprises since the year 1997/98.
- As of 2010/11 it was re-established as Federal Micro and Small Enterprises Development Agency by Regulation No. 201/2003 of the Council of Ministers and have been referred with this name for 5 years and operated by adopting clearly defined strategy and support frameworks of the sector.
- With the view of expanding the changes realized in the second growth and transformation plan and become basis for the industry sector, the small manufacturing sector which has been implemented under the micro and small enterprises, was incorporated with the medium manufacturing sector by Regulation No. 373/2016 of the Council of Ministers and the organization was established under the name the Federal Small and Medium Manufacturing Industry Development Agency.